Thursday, January 12, 2006

What about ordinary days?

Today was an absolutely ordinary day. Nothing particularly memorable happened. Took staff photos. Scolded some students, praised others. Did work. Met a friend for dinner and shopping and spent too much on shoes.

It's days like this that make me wonder what life is all about. I did not feel particulaly Christ-centred, I did not think of God or life until I sat down to type this out.

At Kinokuniya I chanced upon a book entitled 'The Magic of Ordinary Days'. It made me smile and hope, but I didn't get the book. Maybe I should.

Watched a dvd sermon by Rich Mullins the other day. Radical guy - yet radical in a very but-of-course-we-should-live-like-that kind of way. He quoted :
'I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.' John 10:10.
And Mullins said that if the entire goal of Jesus was to give us abundant life, then surely our goal is to live life abundantly.

Makes sense.

How oh how oh how.

Two other titles in Kinokuniya caught my eye 'The Year of Yes' and 'Yes Man'. Separate shelves and different sections, but i picked them up one after the other. Both were autobiographies of a woman and a man learning the power of saying 'yes' to every proposition that came to them.

Interesting notion.
Dangerous though.

Would that be living abundantly? Or perhaps foolishly.

Maybe I should not think so much. Sigh.

5 Comments:

Blogger Eugene Tan said...

Life has its own ways of being abundant. You cannot require it to be or make it abundant by force. Instead, see the abundance in its simplicity. Your "ordinary" day is a day for reflections, for "insight". It represents a time when your frantic activities ebb for a while. Never miss such opportunities to reflect and look inside yourself and the actions you've done and see if you have grown. I always treasure such days because I grow mentally, psychologically, spiritually, and intangibly more on these days than on days where I'm no different from a headless blue housefly.

Treasure these lull moments!

11:52 PM  
Blogger still seeking said...

Hmmm... I see your point. At the same time, this 'ordinary' day was a day when i was indulging in mindless, fill-in-time activities.. pleasurable but fleeting.
i do have days where i walk around just reflecting, but i suppose I'm questioning the value of my leisure/shopping/fill-time activities.
but really appreciate your input. =)

8:38 PM  
Blogger Eugene Tan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Eugene Tan said...

Aiyoh girl, you go spending your hard earned money and you call that indulging in mindless, fill-in-time activities? Don't like that leh... Maybe you'll feel better if, on behalf of all those shopkeepers whose livelihood you've supported through your patronage, I thank you for it. Perhaps your activities will become more meaningful. How?

Don't shy lah... like that can buy more and feel LESS guilty. Start with a round of presents for your readers? :)

10:17 PM  
Blogger still seeking said...

Haha.. good advice =)
I really have neurotic tendencies..
I shall visit Value$ shop soon and get you a prezzie.. haha..

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home