Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas thoughts

Just finished reading 'Flowers for Algernon' by Daniel Keyes, about a retarded man who becomes a genius through a scientific experiment. It reminded me of my questions as to whether it is better to be smart or simple. I realise that it is a moot point since I am what I am. But the important thing is how I choose to respond to those around me.

From the 13th chapter of First Corinthians :
1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

Neither my intelligence nor my knowledge nor my efficiency nor my sense of matrydom and desire to help count for anything. It is a relief.

4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

During my jog this morning, I kept tearing as I mulled over the past year, and more than that, the past ten years. In Dec 1996, I received Christ as Lord and Saviour.
As I meditated upon what love is, I realised I have loved and been loved in a myriad of settings, all unplanned, unrehearsed, all flowing naturally from relationships founded on increasing trust. And I marvelled over the perseverance that God has shown in loving me despite my misgivings, my turning-aways, my failings.

I feel blessed this Christmas.
Happy birthday Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home