Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Ride To NoWhere

My sis and I went for an impromptu bike hike yesterday night... OUCH. East Coast to Orchard to NUS and back to East Coast via Pasir Panjang and Geylang. 7 hours, 4 reconstituted thighs.. I can barely walk this morning..
But it was beautiful. The weather was perfect, the drivers on the road - just insane enough to leave us with exciting memories without permanent scars. I had no idea so much of Singapore is paved for walkers and cowardly riders, that there are so many waterways and lovely images along our roads, that my shadow changes like Peter Pan's when i ride under the benevolent gaze of street lamps placed just so.
Was it a ride to nowhere? At many points along the journey, I asked myself what the hell i was doing on the road, butt aching, thighs screaming. Shouldn't i be home dozing off with a good book? Why was I subjecting myself to this torture?
But when we finally wheeled into East Coast, i was just... glad. glad we had done this, completed a journey, seen beauty i had not seen before.
I know that eventually, i'll be able to say the same things for other rides that have led to nowhere. In the menwhile, I'll have to nurse my pains.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home