Saturday, January 28, 2006

Don't Cha

Went to Ministry of Sound last night. I'm too old for these - queues, stale smoke, crowds, people with no rhythm. Glad I was with E - we could both put on our du-lan faces with great freedom.

What struck me most was the crowd's response to the song 'Don't cha'. The lyrics in question are :
Dont cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me
Dont cha wish your girlfriend was a freak like me
Dont cha, dont cha

Bad grammar aside, it was intriguing to see how .. mad.. the response was to this song - it seemed as if every girl wanted to prove that she was - yes - hotter and freakier than the girl next to her. The sweaty girl beside me gyrated faster and swung her hair furiouser around, intent on showing that she was.. worthy.

Odd. a century ago, worthiness was measured by one's chastity and dignity. Now it is measured by one's whorish freakiness. I think modern woman has done herself a disfavor.

Still - got to dance a bit.

The part of the night I enjoyed the most was my walk from Zouk to Raffles Place. There is a whole labyrinth of pathways that pass little offshoots of the Singapore river. The wind was blowing, and near Clarke Quay, there was a field where people were flying remote-controlled planes wildly decorated with neon lights. It was lovely.

30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.
Proverbs 31:30

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home