Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Zen and the Art of Shopping

In the midst of re-reading Robert Pirsig's 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' and I cannot help but wonder -

why o why o why o why do I shop so much?

If there is a profound philosophical basis for motorcycle maintenance, then what of shopping, which takes up incredible amounts of time and resources?

I used to think that shopping was for me, the thrill of the hunt. To snag the best buy, the prettiest thing, was a pseudo-replacement for some primeval urge to hunt. So I could blame it on residual animal instinct and not feel too guilty about it.

However, when I was browsing amongst the dizzying array of beaded blouses and multi-coloured coats in This Fashion the other day - it suddenly hit me.

Shopping is about wanting to possess beauty.

I don't feel this fervent rush to buy buy buy when I walk through a beautiful park or visit an art gallery, mainly because it never crosses my mind (or I don't have the resources) to purchase a stunning tree formation or a famous painting. Yet, it's that same sense of admiration that I have for a beautifully-cut dress or a particularly attractive top.

More than that, it's the hope that I can clothe myself in beauty and thus possess beauty in a tangible manner.

I'm not sure if the same concept would apply to a techno-geek or a movie maniac. But at least I know the next time I have a shopping hunger, I can go out......... and look at some trees. =)

2 Comments:

Blogger Eugene Tan said...

Actually you know why you shop so much. You girl, so you shop. I guy, so I don't shop. See?

9:52 PM  
Blogger still seeking said...

Hmmm... methinks that is too simplistic.. i know straight guys who shop alot too.. times are a'changing my friend.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home