Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Delayed reactions

There’s actually quite a lot of admin work waiting to be cleared.. but here I am blogging..

It seems that I’m suddenly surrounded with people who are in the throes of emotional turmoil. Two have romantic issues, one is being bullied by a colleague and one student burst into tears when I asked her about her home financial situation.

My encounter with the student was rather telling. When she burst into tears, I had really wanted to comfort her by patting her or leaning over. Instead, I went into automatic pilot mode of objectivity. Immediately, I started listing out the reasons she should not feel ashamed. I adjusted my tone of voice to ‘comforting’ and I did my best to use reason to calm her down. The same thing happened when someone close to me had a major quarrel with her partner. The first thing I did was to let my reason take over.

It’s a marvelous mechanism, to always be able to remain calm in a crisis.. yet last night I could not sleep. I wonder if my emotional mechanisms are a little stunted or numbed.

It’s odd. People who meet me expect my drama-mama mode to flare up and think that I will behave hysterically during disagreements. But I never do. I just have a delayed emotional fall-out. I’m thankful.. yet I wonder if it’s entirely healthy.

Hmm.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eugene Tan said...

The ability to empathise is generally the more important skill in human relationships. The ability might be supreme but it does not allow balance the communicative transaction, where someone needs to talk to another who would LISTEN and EMPATHISE.

I only use my rational side to diss off people I dislike. I try to listen as much as I can.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home