Thursday, February 09, 2006

The night before...

Tomorrow is that day that the O Level results are released.

This is the day that most graduating class teachers dread most, because our education system has become so warped that students' results are now largely attributed to teachers' performance rather than students' efforts. While I agree that the quality of teacher does make a difference, I find the direct (and over-) correlation quite perturbing. The post-analysis of results always seem so .. accusatory.

Tonight, I feel surprisingly calm. Maybe it's because I know I did what I could with my two classes. Maybe it's because I have become more confident and more skilled as a teacher, and I do believe that I did value-add to my students last year.

I remember that I felt like absolute shit during the results release last year. Completely guilt-ridden. The kids did badly, and i knew that i had not done my best as a teacher either.

Yet one year down the road, all of them have found suitable educational paths.
I think I have tended to underestimate the resilience of people - and the grace of God.

4 Comments:

Blogger dindon said...

good luck for your results ...
wait a minute, you are not a student ...
this is strange ...

10:17 PM  
Blogger Eugene Tan said...

Whatever happens, I know you have done your job as a teacher. Never ever feel that you have done "not enough". Nothing is ever enough, but the point is, you have done your best and that is reason enough to hold your head up high and bite off the heads of whoever comes bitching your way about your kids' results.

Cheers, girl! You have my fullest support!

10:58 PM  
Blogger still seeking said...

Thanks for your encouraging comments friends! So sweet..

The results are out.. 2 - 3 % below national average, but distinction rates are up... Overall, i'm quite satisfied (or am I the too easily contented type?!)

My only regret is one boy in my class who got an E8. He did well in everything but English, and E8 means he can't go to Poly.. I very sad...

12:28 PM  
Blogger Eugene Tan said...

You always have the occasional strayer. Don't let them affect you. Keep your head up high! :)

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home