Sunday, February 26, 2006

Slapping the ceiling

I was at Orchard Underpass this afternoon and a family were coming down some steps. Suddenly, the elderly, white-haired grandfather reached out to the overhanging low ceiling to slap at it. Just for the heck of it.

I wanted to laugh out loud. Or simply congratulate him for keeping his youthful exuberance and bo-liaoness.

Odd that if some middle-aged guy did that I may ascribe it to childishness, but when some old man does it, I ascribe it to youthful exuberance.

Must re-examine my mental models. Or maybe just don't think so much lah.

I Shall Wear Purple
When I am an old woman
I shall wear purple,
With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and
summer gloves. And satin sandals, and say we've
no money for butter. I shall sit down on the pavement
when I'm tired. And gobble up samples in shops and
press alarm bells. And run my stick along public
railings. And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain. And pick
flowers in other people's gardens. And learn to
spit...
But, maybe I ought to practice a little now? So
people who know me are not too shocked or surprised
when suddenly I am old and start to wear
purple.
- Jenny Joseph

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home